Hello, I’m Mei-Li Nieuwland, also going by the alias 'Liea' online. I'm doing illustration and comics to open up complex topics for understanding and debate.
My academic background is in artificial intelligence and cultural anthropology. In my work I combine hands-on fieldwork with drawing as a tool for inquiry and reflection. Topics of special interest include computer science and technology, privacy, the environment, migration, and work in the age of automation. Ultimately, my ambition is to inspire others with images that are both "good to see and good to think".
I work with a mix of traditional and digital media, using hand-drawn textures and a Wacom tablet.
• One day in Kara Tepe, visual journalism on Lesbos, Greece. Together with Aimée de Jongh and Judith Vanistendael I visited one of the refugee camps on Lesbos, Greece, and creatied a comic about my experiences. The results were published by the Dutch newspaper NRC and in English on the graphic journalism platform Drawing The Times.
• Illustrative portrait in collaboration with the Nederlands Dans Theater (Dutch Dance Theatre). In a special collaboration between eight artists and eight dancers/choreographers from the NDT, I am creating an illustrative portrait of Sarah Reynolds. The collection will be on show during the UN Women's HeForShe Arts Week in Amsterdam.
• New York City. I'm visiting New York to explore the illustration and publishing scene.
• NDT illustrative portrait exposition. The portrait collection will be on display in the Stadsschouwburg Amsterdam and De Kring from March 8th - 15th during the UN Women's HeForShe Arts Week.
• Publication of the "Invisible Illness Anthology", a zine on mental illness. This first edition's theme will be Anxiety.
If you see an opportunity for collaboration, or if you have any questions about my work, I'd love to chat! You can shoot me an email at the address below.